How do we prevent stillbirth?
I think we need a three pronged attack. We need:
- Public awareness that stillbirth happens
- Pregnant woman awareness of warning signs to look out for and ways to protect herself and her baby during pregnancy
- Care providers improved awareness of risk factors and what to look out for, taking care to listen to women and appropriately respond to their concerns
- 6 babies die in Australia every single day (Stillbirth happens)
- Many pregnant women do not know the warning signs to look for and are unaware of simple measures they can take to keep their unborn baby safe. (She is working to address that by distributing information about how women can keep their unborn baby safe to maternity hospitals across Australia free of charge)
- Care providers need to tell women about stillbirth and ways to keep their baby safe (she is regularly holding care provider education sessions to address knowledge gaps, not in stillbirth management but stillbirth prevention)